Monday, July 9, 2012

Auction Watching - Jane Austin's Ring at Sotheby's


From the Guardian
A turquoise ring which once belonged to Jane Austen is up for auction at Sotheby's next week. But fans of the romantic novelist will need deep pockets if they are to win the rare piece of jewellery, which has a guide price of £20,000 to £30,000.
The turquoise and gold ring came to Sotheby's from Austen's family, complete with a note sent by Jane's sister-in-law, Eleanor Austen, in November 1863, to Jane's niece, Caroline Austen. "My dear Caroline," wrote Eleanor. "The enclosed ring once belonged to your Aunt Jane. It was given to me by your Aunt Cassandra as soon as she knew that I was engaged to your uncle. I bequeath it to you. God bless you!"
The discovery of a previously unknown personal item of Jane Austen's is extremely rare, said Dr Gabriel Heaton, Sotheby's literature expert.

 Ah...just another reason to love estate jewelry.
I won't be bidding on this ring...only because I'm not a big fan of Austin.
But, if a ring came up for sale from my favorite females authors of the long 18th Century, 
I'd seriously consider bidding on it.
 
Digg this

1 comment:

Miss Cavendish said...

I really like Austen, and I like the ring, but I love the box!!

Add to Technorati Favorites