Friday, April 1, 2011

Vintage Celine - When The Classics Come Back

Today I was perusing the editor's picks for best Spring accessories on ELLE.com
and look what I found

wow...$3400
I'm glad that I still have virtually the same bag that I purchased at the Celine boutique in Paris
in the mid 1980s. (My bag has the Celine logo on the clasp and a shorter strap)
(I actually bought 3 Celine bags on that trip and happily I still have them all)
I doubt that I paid as much as $340 for that bag then...and I got the VAT back.
Will carry it this Spring?  Probably not.
But it makes me happy just to know that I'm so thrifty that I'm chic because I kept this and several other nice bags from my former life as a trophy wife.

Trophy wife or not....as David pointed out in his comment that Celine was the poor girl's Hermes and he was absolutely correct.  So I shall amend my description to having been a trophy wife married to a thrifty Swiss banker!
Digg this

5 comments:

Susan B said...

Wow, $3400, that's just insane for a leather bag! It's amazing how much the "new" design, isn't. Good for you for keeping!

David Toms said...

Celine has certainly come back in style! I remember when if you couldn't afford Hermes you bought Celine. Belle do be chic this summer and carry yours!

Belle de Ville said...

Pseu, isn't that price just insane for such a simple bag?

David, Celine was always the poor girls Hermes....why do you think that I shopped there!
Of course even Hermes was much more reasonably priced in the early 1980's.
I remember that I had those classic wool serge pleated skirts with the leather and gold hardware on the waistband, and printed silk shirts to go with them from both Celine and Hermes....and hadn't even graduated from University yet!
Imagine what a matronly young lady I was then.

Mardel said...

I saw an ad for those bags and thought how nice that simple elegant bags were coming back. And then I saw the price.

I so fondly remember wearing pieces by Celine in the 80s. I wonder if my parents were as appalled by the prices then as I am now.

Jill said...

I'm not a purse girl, but that rug!! Loving it.

Add to Technorati Favorites