Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Looking Back To The Summer of 1969

For all of us there is some pivotal event that occurred in our childhoods that we still remember because in some way it influenced the way that we feel about the world.
For the generation before me it was the assassination of President Kennedy. Ask anyone of that generation and they will probably be able to tell you where they were when the event took place and have some memory of watching the funeral on TV.
For my children it was September 11th.

But for my generation it was 40 years ago in the summer of 1969
The Apollo mission to the moon and Neil Armstrong's "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".
We all thought that a Mars landing would only be a few years away.

That summer while my parents were in New York City, my brother's and I spent 8 weeks at camp in the hills of Malibu. It the the usual kind of summer camp except instead of having a lake we had the big waves of Zuma Beach. Most of my days at that camp were spent riding horses, especially learning gymkhanna events. But one day, all of us campers were herded into the main house and sat in front of the television to watch the moon landing.

And it was awesome.



So, yes it makes me really feel old to realize that this incredible event took place 40 years ago.



The summer of 1969 was also a summer of music
and not just the Top of the Pops...



There was the wildness of Woodstock


And plenty of Soul Music



Pretty girls looked like these bikini clad babes from the Pirelli Calendar


and high fashion was both buttoned down



and Boho Glam


Bright colors and Big jewelry


and my mother, the easy breezy California girl running around the streets of New York,
would have looked a lot like this


So where are we today in the summer of 2009?

Less buttoned down and more Boho Glam for sure
with short skirts, strappy sandals and big sunglasses
And where is the space program?
Well, certainly not on Mars...but maybe a Mars landing will be the pivotal event of my future grandchildren's lives.

We shall see
Digg this

6 comments:

Jill said...

This was fun...of course, I love the Bohemian vibe. Didn't Janic Joplin look great in that photo?! I was born in 1968. A decade too late. I sported giant 80's hair (I was asked often if it was a wig!) and shoulder pads. Yuck!!

Belle de Ville said...

Why Jill...you young little thing, you missed the 1960s!
But you made up for it with being a big-haired 80's girl.
(For the record I still like big-hair...a la Bridget Bardot)
Yes, Janis Joplin did look great in that photo.

La Belette Rouge said...

Those Vogue covers are so funny. And, if they ever make a Janice Joplan movie, Tracey Ullman would do a great Janice.

Belle de Ville said...

Belette, why is it I wonder that Janis Joplin's (of Jimi Hendrix) life hasn't been made into a film.
Afterall, we had the Jim Morrison film.
And yes, Tracy Ulman would make an awesome Joplin.

Jill said...

I love Bardot hair!

Belle de Ville said...

Bardot hair is the best!

Add to Technorati Favorites