Monday, March 3, 2008

Lizard Lust


Another reason to love vintage:


We live in a throw away society where trends come and go in the course of a few months. If designer's don't change their collections every 6 months they risk not creating increased demand and losing future sales. Obsolescence is built into clothes and accessories as it is in so many tech devices.


The main reason why skin bags have always been valued is because of their durability. While kid leather is soft and lovely, if you run your fingernail over the surface it will scratch. Alligator, crocodile and lizard are tough hides...just look how tough those animals are. I have some lovely lizard evening bags that I bought more 20 years ago, and they are still is almost perfect condition.


So, since I can't afford to stop into Hermes for an alligator Kelly bag, I surf the vintage sites for skin bags.


Retrodesignerdeals.com has a nice little collection of skin and other vintage bags. I like this bag although it probably wouldn't hold all of things I carry around everyday.


Digg this

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites